Balsamic sautéed mushrooms
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small dish, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and 1 tablespoon water.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the mushrooms and salt and stir right away with a wooden spoon until the mushrooms have absorbed all the fat.
3. Let the mushrooms cook undisturbed for 2 minutes and then stir once. The pan will look dry, but keep the heat at medium-high and continue to cook, stirring infrequently, until the mushrooms are shrunken, glistening, and some sides have developed a deep orange-brown color, 6 to 7 minutes more (the bottom of the pan will be brown).
4. Turn the heat to low, add the garlic and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and cook, stirring, until the butter is melted and the garlic is fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Carefully add the balsamic mixture. Cook, stirring, until the liquid reduces to a glazey consistency that coats the mushrooms, 15 to 20 seconds. Season with few grinds of pepper.
5. Transfer the mushrooms to a serving dish, scraping the pan with a rubber spatula to get all of the garlicky sauce. Let sit for a few minutes and then serve warm.
*Rinse your mushrooms, but give them time to dry completely before preparing this recipe. They won’t brown as well when wet.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: 1/4th of the recipe
Calories per serving: 150
Fat per serving: 13g
Saturated Fat per serving: 4.5g
Sodium per serving: 220mg
Fiber per serving: 2g
Protein per serving: 3g
Cholesterol per serving: 15mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 9g
WW POINTS per serving: Points Plus Program: 4 Old Points Program: 4